Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Bit behind with things....here's what i did on Sunday.

I planted out my pea row in some guttering. The idea being that you can hoist it up in the air to prevent rodents etc from stealing the seeds. My personal thought was that they would be safer from Millie's size 6's this way. I've no idea if this works but it is supposed to just slide out into the bed when the time comes, we'll see! If it all goes horribly wrong i have the seedlings that i planted indoors a few weeks ago. They are ready to be planted out but i am in the process of "hardening them off". I haven't a clue how to do this. I just keep sticking them outside (when i remember!) and leaving them a bit longer each day. If anyone has any advice about this (that is assuming anyone is reading this, lol) please enlighten me!

I repotted all my tomato plants into bigger pots. There are about 20 of them in total, the majority of them germinated. Still haven't decided if to plant them in growbags or in the ground. Bob Flowerdew reckons in the ground is better (they are a bush variety so would be fairly easy) problem is...space. I only have one of the raised beds occupied at the moment but i have all my peas and beans to go in one bed and then calabrese, sweetcorn and squashes to go in the remaining two - eek. Should really have thought about this a LOT more. I could always give some away, can't imagine i am going to need all 20 plants.

I also planted out the Allium (Purple Sensation) plant that we bought last week. Apparently the flower heads grow up to a metre tall, so i planted it near the back of the bed. The flowers should look nice with the green fence behind. I dug up the Dog Daisies (or Poo daisies as they came to be known) and planted some Echinacea plants instead. Similar size blooms i think but hopefully a lot less stinky.

No comments: