Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Had a good day in the garden yesterday. I planted out my 6 remaining courgette plants which i have been hardening off during the past week. A bit soon perhaps as you are supposed to harden off over 2 weeks or so, but they were taking up so much room in the house and Millie kept trampling over them so i thought that the risk was probably worth it. I have planted one in bed 3 with the two i planted out a few weeks ago and the remaining ones are in growbags as they need a square metre of space per plant! i have also planted out one of the cucumber seedings - the only one of the three to germinate. Haven't decided if i will sow any more yet.

I have planted some leaf beet (Bright Lights) alongside the pea row in bed 2. I've never eaten this stuff before, let along grown it so should be interesting.

I was weeding the veggie garden during the week and Millie was "helping". I had foolishly been sitting with my back to her and when i turned round she had pulled up an entire row of cos lettuce!!! I was not pleased. I shoved the smaller ones back in the ground asap and they seem to be ok though they do look a little bit limp. I planted another row of lettuce alongside them, some more radishes (Cherry Belle again as i have decided i prefer these to the Saxa II) and a third row of spring onions. So that is Bed 1 full now.

Need to start getting Bed 4 under control so that i can sow the marrows and butternut squash.

No comments: