Monday, June 16, 2003

Well i haven't had much opportunity to post of late but i have been getting on with a few things in the garden.

I finally sowed the sweetcorn the other day. It really is late as you are supposed to start it off indoors to give it a head start, but I decided I didn't have the room. I am hoping that we will have an Indian summer like last year so that the growing season will be long enough - fingers crossed. However, I went up the garden the day following planting and the fox had paid a visit and dug right where I had sowed the sweetcorn...I hope it will be ok.

The leaf beet I planted a few weeks ago is coming along nicely as are the peas, we have not just flowers but little pea pods, very exciting! The courgettes in bed 2 are coming on a storm. One plant has four courgettes growing on it another has two, Will soon be harvesting them. The courgette plants in the grow bags are doing less well, as expected, but I noticed this morning that one has a courgette developing on it so perhaps all is not lost just yet.

I have finished planting out all of the tomatoes. They really should have been out ages ago, (and have taken a check in growth because of this) but with one thing and another I never got around to it. So as well as the four I planted 2 weeks ago (they are now flowering) I have eight in grow bags and the remaining eleven in the large south facing bed (with the strawberries that I relocated). They are not the healthiest looking of plants BUT I said that about the first lot of courgettes I planted out and they are now thriving! Hopefully now they are in their permanent positions they will be happier.

The beans (French Climbing and Runner) are now climbing and I have sown a few more alongside them.

I picked my first raspberries today!!! Only two, lol, but I was excited. Strawberries are still quite green.

The Night Scented Stock is coming along well but think I may have sowed it too thickly - we'll see. I bought an Acer last week when I was at my parents and an Olive Tree to go with other pots on the sun deck. I wonder if we will have some olives...somehow I doubt it as the tree is tiny!

Quick update on frogs/tadpoles:

A terrible disaster occured whilst we we away at my parents....we left the hose on in the pond! Luckily our neighbour noticed (but only after it flooded his garden - no damage done thank goodness!) and turned it off. I hope we didn't lose too many tadpoles. There still seems to be a few but is difficult to see as the irises are now taking up most of the pond. I know i reported ages ago that i thought i had seen tadpoles that were starting to form legs but i think i must have been seeing things! None of the ones i have seen since look like they have legs yet???

Millie and i were counting frogs the other day and we saw ten, i am amazed! Makes you wonder how many there are altogether.

No comments: