Friday, August 29, 2003

I'm starting to feel like everything is drawing to a close in the veg garden. I have dug up all the onions, shallots and garlic and i pulled my last spring onion this evening. The courgettes look like they are slowing down (finally!) and the tomato plants near the house are also looking rather thin now. However, i am still enjoying plenty of beans and the second wave of tomatoes and peas are just getting into full swing so i shouldn't feel too "doom and gloom" about winter approching - it is still August after all (just). I also picked my first marrow tonight, not quite sure what i am going to do with it though. Seems rather a waste to just chop it up for chutney but other than that my experience of marrows goes no further than stuffing them.

Oh, and i was very cross to discover that the one and only cucumber that has survived on my cucumber plant has been well and truly munched by a slug. Grrr not happy at all!

Chutney day tomorrow as i still have 6 courgettes in the fridge that need using ASAP. The yummy recipe i finally chose is in the River Cottage Cookbook. Well it sounds nice anyway, we'll have to wait and see. Didn't manage to find any wide neck bottles for ketchup so made tomato sauce instead which i have frozen for emergencies :o)

No comments: