Monday, March 10, 2003

Bit of background info for you....

We moved last year from a house with a postage stamp sized piece of garden, to a house with front, back, herb and vegetable gardens. The garden was a big factor on us buying the house as I had wanted to grow my own veg for a while - despite having no knowledge of what was involved! So began a steep learning curve.

It was May by the time we moved in but I still managed to plant crops of courgette, runner beans, Cos lettuce, radish, rocket and sweet peppers. To add to the strawberries, raspberries, Jerusalem artichokes and asparagus planted by the previous owner. Apart from the peppers, of which we managed only one pathetic slug eaten specimen, they were a terrific success and so this year I plan to do more.

Our vegetable garden is made up of four raised beds running horizontally down the centre of the plot with a large bed to the right (which I didn’t use last year so is very overgrown) and a bed to the left of them housing the strawberries and raspberries. Finally, a tiny bed next to the compost bins where I have my comfrey (for activating the compost and using in my lotions and potions!). We also have a plot for a small greenhouse/shed but sadly not the funds at the moment!

No comments: