Wednesday, May 07, 2003

Last Sunday i planted out the peas that had been growing in the guttering. So much for them "simply" sliding out. I had to hack them into chunks but thankfully none seem to have sustained lasting damage as they are coming along well and anchoring themselves to the netting. I also erected the bean row. Doing it slightly different this year. I got some of those little connecter balls from Lakeland and have used them to join the bamboo canes, it meant that i was able to to it myself, well mostly. I have strung up "dead" CD's to act as bird scarers along the bean row and amongst the raspberry canes. I'm not sure how necessary they are but they look beautiful, even our neighbour commented on how pretty they looked with the sun shining on them! I have also surrounded each bed with twine to deter Mr Fox from Pooing all over them....seems to have done the trick so far.

The Rhubarb seems to have died, not sure why though. It just sort of shrivelled up. However, the strawberries that i moved seem to have survived the transplant really well and are all in flower. One of the courgette plates has also shrivelled up. It was the one that had been munched by the slugs the most.

The parsley i planted ages ago is finally showing itself, (it's actually been visible for some time but i can only now distinguish it from the weeds as it has its "proper" leaves).
I planted some cucumber seeds in pots, the first of which is just poking through the compost.

No comments: